Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Passion & Purpose

It's interesting how the most mundane task can set your soul on fire... when it's for a purpose.

****

David and I are in the back of the fellowship hall finishing off some cake, while everyone in the rest of the room is watching our first short documentary, Victor's Story. We're both very tired and hungry. I just want to eat something bigger than a little piece of cake and go back to bed, but I can't... so I try and focus on the video.

I've seen it a million times. Nothing new. I could close my eyes and know what scene it is just from the music. And ah! ...here it comes... my horrible overdub. I mutter my usual excuse, that we recorded it at 3am and shake my head.

As the video progresses little Victor comes into the story and my eyes start to water. I realize how long it's been since I last watched the video. I can't help but smile as I reflect on that incredible day when Victor was rescued off the street and given a new life... a life full of love, hope and opportunity.

The video ends and I'm called up front to speak.

***

Since then I haven't been able to stop thinking about purpose and passion and the incredible things we can accomplish when our passions find purpose. The more I think about my purpose, the more passionate I get! The more passionate I get, the more I want to fulfill my purpose!

I believe God has given all of us the same ULTIMATE purpose in life... to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbors as ourselves... but HE didn't give all of us the same passions.

Every person on earth has passions. The question is, have those passions found their purpose?

These are two of the greatest forces at work in my life. They're why sometimes, the most mundane task can set my soul on fire!

Compassion=Action,

-Travis

3 comments:

Joanne Chantelau said...

Loved your article on passion and purpose...thanks for the reminder - and the permission - to be excited about what I'm excited about! I'm going to link your guys' blog to mine. :-)

LAR said...

I am often surprised by the Divine surprise that springs forth from some of the most mundane moments in life. Thanks for sharing.

Jayme and Genevieve said...

I needed the reminder Travis, thank you!